- Our Authentic and Comprehensive Curriculum. You’ll appreciate your choice of the Carolinas’ most authentic and traditional classes in Zen (Ch’an) Meditation, Tai Chi, Shaolin Kung Fu, Yoga, Internal Martial Arts (Pa Kua and Hsing-I), Shuai Chiao (Chinese Grappling), and Qigong.
- Personalized Programs. We confer with you to help YOU decide what your personal goals are, and then we help you choose the program and classes that will best help you achieve your goals. Some of our students are very satisfied taking a couple of classes a week in a single style or art form; others train hours a day, every day, in multiple styles and art forms. Some primarily want to get or stay healthy and feel good mentally and physically; others want to become world-class martial artists and fighters, or perhaps someday teach these arts. We’ll help you choose the most sensible and effective training program for you to achieve your goals.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities. We have the finest facilities of any Charlotte fitness, tai chi, yoga or martial arts school, and indeed among the best facilities in the Carolinas. Set on 12 wooded acres with walking trails, gardens, a circuit training course and other outdoor training areas, our beautiful custom-designed 10,000 square foot building has four large and clean mirrored studios with wood floors and mats, a state-of-the-art equipment room, a meditation room, saunas and showers, and a large and relaxing common area.
- Authentic and Professional Instruction. As Head Instructor, I’ve dedicated the past 35+ years of my life to training in authentic Martial Arts, Zen (Ch’an) meditation, Yoga, Tai Chi, Qigong, and East Asian philosophies and culture. During the past 35+ years I’ve been fortunate to have lineage instruction passed down by some of the most renowned and talented teachers alive today. For the tai chi and martial arts programs at The Peaceful Dragon I have eight fully-certified teachers assisting me, each of whom has trained with me intensively for a minimum of ten continuous years to earn their Instructor Certification. We don’t hire outside martial arts teachers; each of our teachers is fully versed in the exact curriculum that you will learn when you join. For the comprehensive programs offered in The Yoga Institute at The Peaceful Dragon, we have top professional teachers who have all taken Yoga-Alliance certified training courses.
Call 704-504-8866 or Click Here to Apply for a FREE Introductory Tour, Orientation and First Lesson!
At The Peaceful Dragon you’ll enjoy one of the top training facilities found anywhere in The United States.
Our beautiful 10,000-square-foot custom-built school set on 12 wooded acres reflects the quality of our programs.
Built and maintained by our hundreds of students, patrons and volunteers, our school offers award-winning martial arts, yoga and health arts programs for both children and adults. See for yourself why The Peaceful Dragon was chosen “Best Martial Arts School” by Charlotte’s Best Magazine, and why Charlotte Parent magazine’s Readers’ Favorite chose us for “Best Martial Arts.”
Classes are conveniently offered seven days a week in four clean, spacious and well-kept studios. We are fully equipped with an assortment of up-to-date training equipment including grappling mats, stretching bars, resistance exercise equipment and much more. Students coming to class before or after work also appreciate our well-appointed dressing rooms, showers and saunas.
Outside you can enjoy several gardens and training areas, a walking trail and circuit training course, and a large back yard where we hold outdoor classes and workshops in nice weather.
How we compare with other schools nationally:
- Size: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% of martial arts schools and yoga schools in terms of physical size of the facility and property.
- Amenities: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% of schools in terms of available equipment and training facilities.
- Experience: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% in terms of the collective number of years of experience of the instructors.
- Enrollment: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% in terms of number of active, matriculated students.
- Longevity: We have been open since 1997, in an industry where fewer than 10% of martial arts or yoga schools stay open longer than five-years.
- Stability: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% in terms of revenues, which helps ensure that we will be here for many, many more years to come.
- Value: Even though we are in the top 1% of schools in each of the above important categories, our average tuition cost falls somewhere in the 20-40 percentile range. And we offer our students much more than just classes: You get ongoing lectures, workshops, roundtable discussion groups, social events, special seminars, and much more included in your tuition!
- Popularity: Our average annual retention rate is more than double (and closer to triple) the industry average for martial arts and yoga schools, suggesting our students are much more satisfied training here than are students at most other schools.
- Competition Results: Our students who choose to compete in martial arts forms, fighting and weapons at regional and national tournaments are consistently in the top 10% of medal winners.
- Advanced Ranks: The Peaceful Dragon is in the top 1% of martial arts schools both in terms of total number of students and percentage of students training past intermediate and into advanced black-belt levels and beyond.
Call 704-504-8866 or Click Here to Apply for a FREE Introductory Tour, Orientation and First Lesson!
Great classes aren’t all you’ll enjoy as a student at The Peaceful Dragon
In addition to our exciting and life-changing classes, as a student at The Peaceful Dragon you’ll enjoy a host of other benefits and privileges, including:
- Monthly lectures, seminars and discussion groups on topics related to your training
- Monthly on-line interactive lessons, “The Way of Martial Arts” and “Way of Yoga”
- Informative monthly newsletter
- 10-50% discounts on special classes and workshops by visiting masters, including classes in Chinese language, Eastern medicine, Feng Shui and more
- A well-stocked supply of martial arts, yoga and meditation supplies
- Use of training studios and training equipment even outside of class times
- Unlimited use of outdoor circuit training stations and practice areas
- Showers, changing rooms and saunas
- A relaxing common area where it is easy to meet and socialize with fellow students
A longer life maybe…a better life absolutely
Classes at The Peaceful Dragon may very well increase your longevity, but their real value lies in how they increase your wellness and enjoyment of life right now. None of us know whether we’ll be here tomorrow, so the important question is, “Do we feel healthy, energetic, secure, optimistic and content today?”
Classes at The Peaceful Dragon are designed to gradually steer you toward a greater state of mindfulness – the state of being tuned in to and appreciative of each moment.
As we get older we become more cognizant of just how short and fleeting our lives really are, and we see the importance of learning how to maximize our well-being and really enjoy each moment in life.
At The Peaceful Dragon you’ll not only learn the physical side of each art, but also how to make healthy lifestyle choices that complement your training. These lifestyle factors include diet and nutrition, sleep habits, time management, exercise routines, reducing bad habits and unhealthy vices, associating with positive and optimistic people, being attuned to nature’s cycles and living in accord with them, learning to mindful of the moment, and many other factors that will help you enjoy each day to its fullest.
“Master Sbarge is very knowledgeable in the arts. The curriculum is comprehensive and challenging and a joy to learn. The instructors are great.” –Dale Guadagna, Charlotte, NC, Solutions Development
“Master Sbarge is a very calm, personable teacher, never arrogant yet extremely knowledgeable in all aspects of the Chinese arts.” –Natalia Hill, 28, computer programmer
Call (704) 504-8866 or Click Here to Apply for a FREE Introductory Tour, Orientation and First Lesson!
We’re a One-of-a-Kind, Family-run School
At The Peaceful Dragon, you become part of an extended family. Unlike many of the Charlotte fitness centers and other Charlotte yoga studios, we’re a family-owned school, not part of a chain, franchise or cookie-cutter “same-as-the-next-one” school.
My wife Debra and I started the school in 1997 with the help of many of our dedicated students, including our son George who now helps manage the school and has become a senior instructor.
We have no aspirations of opening any additional schools or franchised “McDojo” schools. We don’t hire martial arts instructors from other schools or “mix and match” a watered-down martial arts curriculum. The Yoga Institute at The Peaceful Dragon has a completely different feel from most yoga studios: You won’t find casual and impersonal students coming and going—you’ll get to know and become like brothers and sisters with your fellow classmates.
Our goal from day one has been to run one great school, and offer the many benefits of traditional training in Asian Health Arts, Yoga and Martial Arts to anyone with a serious interest in learning.
“I had heard for years of the physical benefits of Tai Chi, and for the last couple of years I had been eating painkillers and hardly able to work. Four weeks after starting classes I threw away the pills and have not even been back to the doctor.” –Charles Sullivan, 44, York, SC
“I began taking classes at The Peaceful Dragon at the same time I began radiation treatment for breast cancer. These classes helped me recover and improve my health immensely. I truly believe that I have remained cancer-free these last two years due in part to my continued participation in these classes. Sifu Sbarge has so much knowledge than I can take classes here for a very long time and still continue to learn from him.” –Leslie Carlson, 45, Landscape Designer, Charlotte, NC